Below is just a small sample of Navy memorabilia on display at the museum.
Presentation of the HMAS Maryborough Marching Banner.
After 66 years, the HMAS Maryborough Association, disbanded due to the age of original crew members, presented their marching banner to the Museum.
Members, including 3 original crew, came from all over Australia to Maryborough in July 2011 for their final reunion and dinner.
This banner is very significant because it would have been paraded at different ANZAC Day and other Association functions for the past 60+ years.
Pictured above are the Museumís Director, John Meyers, and former crew members Alistair Cole, Bill Dobie and Brian Bleechmore.
Click on image to see larger view.
The H.M.A.S. Maryborough display at the Museum featuring a painting of the H.M.A.S. Maryborough (depicted at the WW2 battle of Sicily in the Mediterranean) by
Brisbane-based artist Allan Hewson. Click on image to see larger view.
H.M.A.S. Maryborough (2007- )
Australia's new fleet of bigger, faster and more capable patrol boats will be named after Australian cities and towns with close links with Navy heritage.
In 2003 Senator Hill announced the new class of patrol boats were to be named the Armidale class to coincide with the 60th commemoration of the sinking of the
original HMAS Armidale.
The boats will be named Armidale, Bathurst, Bundaberg, Albany, Pirie, Maitland, Maryborough, Ararat, Launceston, Larrakia, Wollongong,
Childers and Broome. The building of H.M.A.S. Maryborough was announced 5th July 2006.
The new boats will improve the Navy's capability to intercept and apprehend vessels in a greater range of sea conditions increasing surveillance, which will better
protect Australia's coastline.
The 'Maryborough' during trials
Captain of the new 'Maryborough'
ARMIDALE CLASS PATROL BOAT
Hull Semi-displacement vee, with Seastate active ride control system
(hydraulic stabiliser fins and stern trim tabs).
Two MTU 16V M70 2320Kw diesel's driving twin screws through ZF transmissions.
In excess of 25 knots
Rafael Typhoon 25mm naval stabilised deck gun and two 12.7mm machine guns.
Low light optical, communication direction finding and radar.
H.M.A.S. Maryborough (1940-1953)
Australian Minesweeper (Bathurst Class)
650 tons (standard)
185 feet 8 inches
8 feet 6 inches
Walkers Ltd, Maryborough
16th April 1940
17th October 1940, by Mrs Goldsmith, wife of General Manager, Walkers Ltd.
Triple expansion, 2 shafts
1 x 4-inch gun, 3 x Oerlikons
H.M.A.S. Maryborough was one of sixty Australian Minesweepers (commonly known as corvettes) built during World War II in Australian shipyards as part of the
Commonwealth Government's wartime shipbuilding programme.
The 'Maryborough' was commissioned at Maryborough on 12th June 1941 under the command of Lieutenant Commander Glen L. Cant RAN.
'Maryborough', after a brief period of service on the east coast of Australia, proceeded in November 1941 to Singapore. There on 28th November she became a
unit of the 21st Minesweeping Flotilla.
Following the outbreak of the Pacific War, the 'Maryborough' with six of her sister ships played a notable part in the Malayan-Java-Sumatran operations ending on 2nd
March 1942, when she departed Tjilatjap for Fremantle.
The period of March to November 1942 was spent on escort and patrol duties in Western Australian waters based on Fremantle. It was an uneventful period. During
April 1942 'Maryborough' took the submarine USS Sea Raven in tow and brought her to Fremantle. The submarine, which had rescued a party of servicemen from
Timor, had broken down.
On 3rd November, 1942 MARYBOROUGH departed Fremantle for Diego Garcia en route to join the Eastern Fleet. The following four months were spent escorting shipping
from Colombo to Bombay and to the Persian Gulf.
In May 1943 H.M.A.S. Maryborough entered the Mediterranean. Five months were spent in this theatre on convoy, escort and anti-submarine patrol, including the
operations for the Sicily landings. In November 1943 the 'Maryborough' returned to the Indian Ocean and resumed her convoy escort duties. After a year of these
activities she returned to Fremantle on 3rd December 1944 after more than two years of overseas service.
Three and a half months in Australian waters had elapsed when on 16th March 1945 she departed Sydney for Seeadler Harbour. H.M.A.S. Maryborough spent the
remaining months of the war on patrol in Australian and New Guinea. On 15th August 1945 ('VJ' Day) the 'Maryborough' was as en route from Milne Bay to Seeadler.
The remainder of her active service with the R.A.N. was spent as a unit of the 21st Minesweeping Flotilla based on Hong Kong. In December 1945 she finally returned to
Australian and was paid off for disposal. She was sold to Australian General Trading and Shipping Syndicate, Sydney (Comino Bros Pty Ltd) on 9th May 1947 and
renamed Isobel Queen. She was resold to Carr Enterprises Ltd, Sydney, in 1953 for breaking up.
A bit of history ....
From settlement in 1788 to 1859, Australia depended on units detached from the Royal Navy based in Sydney to provide Naval defence. In 1859, Australia was
established as a separate British Naval Station and until 1913, a squadron of the Royal Navy was maintained in Australian waters.
This Australian unit was to be paid for and controlled by the Australian Commonwealth and was to be eventually manned by Australian personnel.
At an Imperial Conference held in 1909, it was decided to deploy to Australian waters a naval unit consisting of at least a battle cruiser, three second class cruisers, six
destroyers, three submarines and a number of auxiliaries.
Detailed discussions were held on 19th August 1909 between representatives of the British Admiralty and the Australian Government that resulted in a decision to proceed
with the establishment of an Australian Fleet Unit.
The first units of this Navy, the destroyers, H.M.A. Ships Yarra and Parramatta, reached Australian waters in November 1910 and in the following year on 10th July 1911,
His Majesty King George V granted the title of 'Royal Australian Navy' to the Commonwealth Naval Forces.
At the outbreak of hostilities in 1914, the Australian Fleet comprised a battle cruiser, six light cruisers, six destroyers, two submarines and numerous support and
ancillary craft. The ships and men of the RAN operated as an integral part of the Royal Navy and served in all operational areas.